Accreditation in India
In India, unlike the USA, accreditation of universities is required by law, unless the institution has been created by a parliamentary mandate. The University Grants Commission (UGC) initiated autonomous institutions award accreditation for higher studies. You need to check whether the institute you plan to attend is accredited by the relevant accrediting agency.
Top Accrediting Agencies in India
- Medical Council of India (MCI) - http://www.mciindia.org - is a government body that recommends recognition or de-recognition of medical qualifications and medical institutions of India or foreign countries.
- Pharmacy Council of India (PCI)- regulates pharmacy education in India up to the graduate level. PCI is a statutory body and awards approval rather than accreditation
- Indian Nursing Council (INC) - http://www.indiannursingcouncil.org/ - is an Autonomous Body under the Government of India that oversees and recognizes nursing education in India for graduate, post graduate and doctoral nursing degrees. It also governs the standard of nursing education for nurses midwife, Auxiliary Nurse-Midwives and health visitors by doing inspection of the institutions
- Dental Council of India (DCI) - http://www.dciindia.org – is a statutory body set by the Indian government to regulate Dental Education and other aspects of dentistry.
- Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM) - http://www.ccimindia.org- is a statutory body constituted under the Indian Medicine Central Council Act 1970, that advises the government in matters relating to the recognition of medical qualifications in the second schedule to Indian Medicine Council Act, 1970. The CCIM grants recognition only to disciplines of Indian medicine such as Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani Tibb
Engineering and Technology
- National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) - http://www.nabl-india.org - is the sole government authorized accreditation body for Testing and Calibration laboratories in India. NABL provides autonomous third-party assessment of the quality and technical competence of testing and calibration laboratories
- National Assessment and Accreditation Council - NAAC - is an autonomous body established by the University Grants Commission. The body accredits universities, colleges and college affiliated programs for under-graduate and post-graduate studies.
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) constituted National Board of Accreditation (NBA) - http://www.nba-aicte.ernet.in - accredits programs rather than colleges or universities. The following disciplines are accredited by the NBA:
- Engineering and Technology
- Hotel management and Catering Technology
- Town and Country Planning
- Applied Arts and Crafts