Mass Communication - Journalism
In the recent years, Indian media has evolved dramatically. There are scores of news channels, publications, and online news sites. If you want to make a career in journalism, you can join either TV news channels, newspapers, magazines, trade magazines or news or trade websites and portals. With increasing competition, journalism has become a lucrative career option. You can join any medium, provided you acquire a professional degree or diploma in journalism.
- Bachelor in Journalism/Mass Communication: 10+2
- Post Graduation Diploma/Degree: Bachelor Degree.
Duration of course
- Bachelor Degree: 3 years in any recognized university.
- PG Diploma: 1 year to 2 years.
- Masters in Journalism: 2 years.
- An inquisitive mind, presentable and confident personality, good communication skills and the ability to write and present information accurately and effectively.
Print & Electronic Media: editors, columnists, correspondents, freelance writers, news analysts, photojournalists, staff, proofreaders, reporters.
Newspapers, periodicals and magazines, Central Information Service, Press Information Bureau, websites, AIR and TV channels like NDTV, Aaj Tak employ Journalists.
After completing your course in journalism, you can expect jobs in leading newspapers, journals, news agencies, online news sites and a host of other organizations.
NDTV, Times Now, Star News, Times of India, Hindustan Times, Reuters, CNN, BBC are amongst the few organizations where any journalists would ideally enjoy working.
As a journalist you can expect an entry level salary of Rs. 10000-Rs.15000. As you gain experience of 4- 5 years your salary can grow somewhere between Rs.25000-50000.
Degree courses in Journalism (Bachelors)
- Chennai University - B.A. with Journalism
- Ravi Shankar University, Raipur - Bachelor in Journalism
- Benaras Hindu University,- B.A. in Journalism
- Kashi Vidyapeeth, - Bachelor in Journalism
- University of Delhi, - Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication in Hindi
- Pune University, - Bachelor of Journalism
- University of Mumbai
- B.A. with Mass Media Communication as a component group subject
- B.A. in Script Writing and Diploma in Journalism & Mass Communication
- B.A. in Journalism (BJ)
- Pioneer Media School -Bachelor of Journalism (BJ)
Degree courses in Journalism (Masters)
- Chennai University
- M.A. in Communication & Journalism &Certificate course in effective communication
- M.A. in Journalism
- Rabindra Bharati University, Calcutta- M.A. in Mass Communication
- Benaras Hindu University, - M.A in Journalism
- Kashi Vidyapeeth, - M.A. Journalism and Mass Communication
- Kurukshetra University, - M.A. Journalism
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi - M.A. in Mass Communication
- Pune University, - Master of Communication Studies (MCMs)
- University of Mumbai - M.A. in Communication & Journalism
Diploma courses in Journalism
- Mudra Institute of Communication ( MICA) AHMEDABAD
- Diploma in Management (Communications)
- Post Graduation Certified courses in Retail Communications, Creative Communications, Visual Merchandisin
- Pune University
- Diploma in Journalism
- Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media, Bangalore
- PG Diploma in Television, Radio, Print and Web Journalism
- Diploma in Television, Radio, Print and Web Journalism
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC), New Delhi
- Journalism (English)
- Journalism (Hindi) Radio and Television Journalism
- Journalism (Oriya)
- Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai
- Journalism & Mass Communication
- Television & Video Production
- Digital Media
- Bharti Vidya Bhawan, New Delhi
- Course in Mass Communication and Journalism
- Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism
You can explore various foreign locations for a course in journalism. A degree or diploma from some of the good institutes brightens your chances of getting a good job in the Indian media. Studying abroad gives you good exposure and a global perspective, which is highly desirable in the job market. Some of the locations that you can explore are the US, Singapore, Australia, and UK.
Nanyang Technological University's The Wee Kim Wee School of Information and Communication, Singapore, is one of top most university in Asia. It offers varieties of courses which include Master of Science in Information Studies, Master of Science in Information Studies, Master of Science in Knowledge management and Master of Mass Communication. A prestigious four year Bachelor of Communication Studies (Honours) degree is also on the offer with a focus on print journalism, photo journalism, online information services and media management, research and analytical techniques.
- A distinct academic record
- Excellent oral and written linguistic skills.
Admission procedure is usually completed by last week of September. You need to appear for a written test and an interview.
Duration of course
- Under Graduation courses: 4 years
- Master courses: 2 years
- Fees for international students are around Singapore $ 15,000 and Singapore $ 20,000
Cardiff School of Journalism Media and Cultural Studies, UK enrols post diplomas, post graduate degree and research students. But you need to have good academic qualifications in research and media criticism. The school also offers undergraduate courses in journalism.
The school of Journalism and Communication at the University of Queensland is Australia's oldest journalism school, and among the oldest in the world. Students have access to the latest technology, and are trained in all aspects of media production.
Programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels cover practical and theoretical aspects of journalism which allow students to follow career objectives or obtain greater insights into the media in general and journalism in particular.
For admission into undergraduate programs at The University of Queensland, applicants must have:
- Completed recognised upper secondary or equivalent Year 12 studies to the required standard. Note that some programs have a limited quota for students. In these instances the required standard is a minimum and a higher standard may be required to gain entry.
- Satisfied English language requirements
Students planning to go on to higher research (e.g. Master of Philosophy, PhD), are usually required to complete a bachelor program with honours. To qualify for honours, students must achieve good results in their bachelor degree.